2016 Platform: Women
California is the proud home of pioneering women; who have blazed new trails in business, entrepreneurship, culture, and politics. We proudly and vigorously support a woman's right to choose how to use her mind, her body and her time. California Democrats respect women as full partners in family and society.
To demonstrate this respect, California Democrats will:
- Support equal access for women of all ages to training, jobs and promotions, and equal pay for equal work, and the right to sue for equal pay, capital, equity and contracts;
- Support affirmative action, the rights accorded to women in Title IX, the U.N. Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), and ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) to the U.S. Constitution;
- Recognize the decline in the number of Democratic Women serving in the state legislature and promote the importance of women running for and serving in public office;
- Preserve confidential, unrestricted access to affordable, high quality, culturally sensitive health care services, including the full range of reproductive services, contraception and abortion, without requiring guardian, judicial, parental, or spousal consent or notification;
- Support the programs of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), including educational and preventive initiatives, especially those that serve women at risk of sexual and domestic violence;
- Recognize that freedom and protection from violence or abuse, domestic and otherwise is a fundamental human right;
- Promote age-appropriate sex education in school curriculum in California;
- Promote health insurance and medical coverage of the full range of mental health services and treatment for women, including early screening and intervention for postpartum depression;
- Increase parenting and job skills for women through available, comprehensive education and training for women who were formerly incarcerated;
- Expand workplace rights for women including flex time, compensatory time, and pregnancy and family leave in all employment contracts;
- Promote the engagement of young women in our political process in order to develop a pipeline for new leadership; and,
- Support women’s reproductive rights by calling for reparations for all women who were sterilized without consent in California jails, prisons and state institutions.