2016 Platform: Culture and the Arts
California Democrats believe in freedom of expression without compromise, public support of the arts and the principles promoted by the California Arts Council, National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH). We further commit to involve artists and cultural organization workers in the planning and implementation processes of artistic endeavors.
In support of the arts, California Democrats will:
- Celebrate and promote the cultural diversity of our residents, past and present and encourage improved public knowledge about and an honest portrayal of our diverse cultures and histories;
- Restore arts and humanities efforts at all educational levels;
- Encourage participation, display, and attendance in all types of public art and performance;
- Promote multi-media public broadcasting, including community-based public radio and public access television;
- Promote greater financial inclusion for all artists in the Internet use of their intellectual property;
- Promote the arts as a major employer and industry by recognizing the importance of creative workers to the California economy, and strongly support all efforts to retain California’s international status as a center of innovation, including the film and television industry, architecture, design, technology and the many categories of fine and performing arts; and,
- Support increases in funding for the California Arts Council.