Union-Built, LEED Certified, Energy-Efficient Building to Serve as Permanent Headquarters for Democratic Efforts Starting With 2014 Campaign to Re-Elect Gov. Brown & Democratic Ticket
SACRAMENTO - Governor Jerry Brown, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and statewide Democratic officials today unveiled the California Democratic Party's new headquarters in downtown Sacramento. Located at 1830, 9th Street, the new building was dedicated as the John L. Burton Democratic Headquarters.
"I'm very touched," said John Burton, Chairman of the California Democratic Party. "From my time in the Assembly, the state Senate and Congress, I've always been blessed with very good staff. Without the staff, the donors and the activists, none of this would be possible."
Built with union labor, the new headquarters is a LEED certified, fully ADA accessible, permanent building housing nineteen full time employees. The building provides room for volunteer predictive-dialer phone banks and trainings as well as outdoor space for fundraisers and receptions.
"Owning our own building and permanent headquarters allows the us to save hundreds of thousands of dollars a year on operating expenses which means we can concentrate on raising money that can be used to elect Democrats who value the contributions of working families throughout the state," said Angie Tate, Chief Finance Officer of the California Democratic Party. "From the solar panels on the roof, to charging stations for electric vehicles, along with historic photos and political memorabilia incorporated throughout, this is a building reflective of our Democratic values."
Since Chairman John Burton's election in 2009, the Democratic Party has implemented a top-to-bottom organizational overhaul including: expanding training opportunities and activist resources, broadening communications impact and expanding social/online communications, running capacity-building programs during non-election years, overhauling Party finances and streamlining operations and expanding grassroots donors through the Donate Every Month program. Democrats in California have since seen their Party go from being shut out of the Governor's office to sweeping all statewide constitutional offices, including electing Jerry Brown governor in 2010 and picking up an unprecedented six new Congressional Districts while helping to pass Proposition 30 in 2012.
The new building will serve as a permanent headquarters for Democratic efforts, beginning with this year's campaign to re-elect Governor Brown and the rest of the Democratic ticket.
Some of the building highlights include:
- Union built to the highest quality standards. No corners were cut.
- Contemporary design, exposed ceilings and glass paneling throughout contribute to an open, collaborative workspace.
- LEED certified energy efficient building in a walkable neighborhood.
- Beautiful displays of California Democratic Party memorabilia including historic photos and a floor-to-ceiling interactive display of campaign buttons and pins.
- Solar panels on roof, charging stations for electric vehicles, locally sourced materials.
- Predictive dialer phone banking space with capacity for 35 volunteers and carpeting made from recycled fishing nets.
- Fully ADA accessible including an elevator with extra large cab.
- Bicycle racks and on-site shower for employees.
- Outdoor patio area for use during receptions and fundraisers.
To view a video of the transformation of the new John L. Burton Democratic Headquarters click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBbGLlV4Isw