It has been said that if you elect people who hate government, they will break the government. That's exactly what House Republicans did last night when they upheld what has become their Party's generational tradition of shutting down the federal government.
Let's be clear, by voting to shut down the government unless Obamacare is overturned, defunded or delayed, Republicans voted to:
- Allow insurance companies to drop coverage for people with preexisting conditions such as asthma, heart disease, or cancer;
- Take away healthcare coverage for young people under the age of 26 who are now covered under their parents' insurance policy;
- Take away rebate checks for those seniors dealing with increased out-of-pocket prescription Medicare costs;
- Take away the peace of mind of millions of Americans now have knowing that insurance companies can no longer drop coverage when patients get sick; and
- Take away life-saving preventive medical services and tests like mammograms.
House Republicans ought to consider taking advantage of their health plan's mental health coverage instead of working to deny millions of Americans health care.