Two years ago this week, the Affordable Care Act was signed into law by President Obama. This law is almost a hundred years in the making and millions of Californians are undeniably benefitting from it every single day.
Since the law passed:
- An estimated 12.1 million Californians no longer have to worry about lifetime caps on their care that would have cut off medical coverage when they needed it most
- 6.1 million Californians have seen their insurance coverage expanded to provide access to preventative services like mammograms, colon cancer screenings and contraception, with no out-of-pocket expenses
- 2.9 million California seniors got a free preventative service from Medicare last year
- 2.2 million children here in California can no longer be denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions like asthma, diabetes and cancer, among others
- 360,000 young adults in California gained health insurance through their parents' plans
- 6,000 Californians under 65 gained the coverage they needed through the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan created by health reform.
Republicans advocating for the Affordable Care Act's repeal will face consequences at the ballot box.
# # #